Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Another Scare!

Yesterday, I was at work and just about to go to a meeting when I felt warm liquid between my legs. I rushed into the bathroom to find myself bleeding heavily with red blood. I almost passed out at the sight. So I used a maxi pad from the bathroom and ran back to my office and frantically called my clinic and asked for my nurse. The receptionist put me through to her voicemail. I called back telling her that I needed to speak to my nurse and not her voicemail and that it was an emergency. So finally my nurse gets on the phone asking me how bad the bleeding is and whether I am at home. I told her that I was at work. In that case, she said you should go to the clinic's other location which is closer to work, just call them and let them know you're coming in. So I call the other location and explain my predicament to the receptionist. She put me on hold for 15 minutes (and I am not exaggerating cause I was keeping track of time so that I can tell the doctor how long I'd been bleeding), just as I was about to give up and was contemplating going to the emergency room. The receptionist got back on the phone with an attitude to tell me that they can't see me and if my nurse wanted me to be seen at that location she herself should have called it in. I had managed to stay relatively calm up to that point, but right then I lost my composure and broke down and said "but listen lady I'm bleeding heavily" and tears prevented me from uttering anything else. So she puts me on hold for another minute, comes back to tell me that I should go to my own clinic and that they are expecting me.

So I'm not sure how I managed to drive myself to the clinic. On the way, I called my husband and told him to meet me there. So I get to the clinic and am rushed into an exam room. Dr. Hotstuff comes in and puts the ultrasound wand inside me and says cheerfully: "There it is!". I ask "There what is?" She said the baby's heartbeat. I am like, but how is this possible, I'm still bleeding heavily. So she explores inside a bit more and finds an area around the placenta and tells me that's the source of your bleed. You have a sub-chorionic bleed. It's bleeding that occurs when the placenta is attaching itself to the uterus and according to Dr' Hotstuff, it is not uncommon.

So I'm able to breath again. I was so sure the pregnancy was lost and am so thankful that it's not. The bad news is that Dr. Hotstuff prescribed bedrest for the rest of this week and I go back in for another ultrasound on Monday. So it's not over yet, but I'm taking it one day at a time and am so grateful to be pregnant.

6 comments: said...

One day at a time Joonie. Take the rest and look after yourself.

Sending you best wishes from Australia.


2roads said...

Thank heavens the baby is OK. Rest, rest, rest. Take it easy. So sorry you've had another scary ride.
Sending you positive thoughts.

Pepper said...

What a rollercoaster! And a terrifying one at that! Oy.

I'm glad the ultrasound turned out well. I hope the bedrest does the trick and that you get some good relaxation in.


the Babychaser: said...

Oh god, what a horrible scary scary day!

I'm so glad to hear that this is relatively "normal" (which makes you ask, "WTF???!! How is that NORMAL???"), and that your baby is fine.

Hang in there. Hopefully this is the last big scare.

Jess said...

This stuff is just never easy...why is that??? Glad the ultrasound was good. Take some time and relax...these scares are traumatizing, I'm sure!!! Hang in there. xoxo

2roads said...

It's Monday and I'm hoping everything goes well today!