Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I Failed My Test!

I failed my glucose screening test. I took the test a couple of weeks ago and didn't hear back from my OB's office, so I thought that I had passed, cause they usually only call you if it's bad news. Today, I got a call from their office saying that I have failed the test and need to come in for the 3 hours glucose tolerance test.

For some reason this news has upset me a lot. I know failing the glucose screening test doesn't necessarily mean that I have Gestational Diabetes. Even if I did have GD, it can be controlled, managed, etc. But I'm still almost in tears. Maybe I'm overly emotional!

In addition, to my failure in the testing department, I had a flare up in a meeting at work earlier today that is bothering me. Usually, I'm level-headed at work and don't get too worked up about much, but today in a meeting, I got very upset when one of the other managers said something less than complementary about a member of my team. I could feel my face getting flushed as I was responding to him. I did my best to keep my words and tone level-headed, but my red face betrayed my true feelings. Afterward, my boss talked to me about it to see what had upset me and then the other manager came and talked to me and I tried to downplay it. I guess he was surprised that I got so upset, and now I feel bad that I will be written off as another hormone driven pregnant woman. I know I'm rambling, but you all know what I'm talking about, don't you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joonie, I failed my tests and was confirmed as having GD during my 27th week of pregnancy. I was really upset too.

I had regular appointments with an Endocrinologist and together with diet and insulin I was able to manage it reasonably well. My baby was born at a normal weight with no complications.

To be honest, the low GI diet was a blessing. I only put on 2kg during my last 3 months and now with a 7 week old baby I am back to my pre-pregnancy weight. It has spurred me on to get fitter and lose the extra 10 kg that I have been carrying around for years. I will be having another 3 hour GTT next week to confirm that it has gone.

I hope that you don't have GD, but if you do, you will be fine - just look after yourself. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your 3 hour test.

Lisa said...

Ugh, sorry you failed the screening test. Hoping the next test goes well.

Sorry, too, that you have to worry about getting upset at work (and having people give feedback about it). I'm sure I would HATE thinking about being dismissed as the "hormonal woman" on the job. Really, that kind of thing would totally bother me too!! Hope you can let it go, though, and that maybe your reaction actually helped others rethink what I'm sure was an *actual* problem with the way they were discussing your team member.

-Lisa from infertileground

Shinejil said...

I think any more hurdles that get thrown in your way when you're pg after IF feel like huge insults. I'm sorry you have to do another darned test, but I hope all turns out well. As mymaybebaby commented, even if it's the worst case scenario, it may be okay.

Big hugs to you!

Paranoid said...

I know how you feel - I cried for a good two days when I failed my screening test during my first pregnancy (didn't end up having GD). With the second, I did have GD, and it honestly wasn't that bad. The first month or so on the diet kind of sucked, but after that it became easier.

Good luck with your 3-hour. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you pass with flying colors.