Monday, August 17, 2009

NICU

After my daughter was born, she had to spend a few days in the NICU. It was one of the most difficult times of my life. It was hard to see my little baby in the ICU connected to all of those machines, and I felt so utterly helpless and inadequate. There was nothing I could do to help her, I just had to wait for her to get better on her own. The worst part was that my husband just refused to go see her in the NICU. I think it was too hard for him, he couldn't handle it. I faithfully showed up every 3 hours where the nurses would help me try and feed her with a bottle. My milk hadn't come in and she needed badly to gain weight, so there went my hopes of a smooth start to breastfeeding. Even with the bottle, she was so weak she would barely eat anything before passing out. They kept her on IV nutrition for the first couple of days.

Once she started eating, things got better quickly. They took out her IV. She was able to maintain her blood sugar and her temperature. The NICU staff was very optimistic and ready to discharge her when she came down with jaundice (which apparently is quite common in preemies). They kept her an extra day and put her under the light. Once the jaundice was gone, they did another thorough check up and discovered that she had a heart murmur. So a cardiologist was brought in for a consult. After doing a sonogram on her heart, the cardiologist told me that she has a hole in her heart. At this point, my heart dropped, time seemed to have stopped and I was about to pass out. The cardiologist noticing this, proceeded to tell me that she is still considered perfectly healthy and in all likelihood the hole will close in a couple of month and it is not a cause for concern! I'm not sure how I started to breath again, but somehow I managed to get myself outside where I had a good cry. All I could think about was that my baby had a hole in her heart! And it was somehow my fault! I was totally and completely irrational.

Anyway, my baby was released from NICU the following day. I still couldn't believe they were letting us take that tiny little baby home with us. How were we going to care for her? In addition, my support system had totally fallen through. My Mom was very ill (arthritis, I thought - more on that later) and couldn't help out. My mother-in-law had saved her one week of vacation for the time that I was actually due and couldn't help us then. So it was just the two of us.

44 comments:

Shinejil said...

Wow, that's a lot to be carrying alone, Joonie. I'm sorry things were so rough after the birth. And why can't doctors explain things better? You'd think a cardiologist would want to avoid giving a new mom a heart attack!

Jess said...

I'm just catching up with you Joonie. Congrats on the birth of your baby girl!! I hope you are both doing great. Looking forward to reading more.

Evil Stepmonster said...

Wow Joonie what a scary start. I'm sure that you and your husband did a fabulous job on your own, and I hope that everyone is well now.

心痛 said...

cool blog,期待更新.........................

ChatterScene.com said...

That is scarey. Big hugs.
Congrats on the baby. I wanted to invite you to check out my site for moms, moms to be and moms ttc.
http://www.chatterscene.com

MISS said...

很期待新的內容,幫你推個文^^ ........................................

慧珊雅俊 said...

先將一個人的生活過好,才有能力過好兩個人的生活..............................

嘉雯 said...

It's great!!..........................................

士嬌 said...

浪漫月光論壇85cc成人影片區一葉晴貼影片區一元真爽黃電影一夜聊天室一夜情視訊網際論壇一夜激情聊天室一對多美女視訊一對一視訊一對一視訊聊天一對一視訊辣妹妹影音視訊聊天室甜心寶貝直播貼片玩美女人視訊網美女短片免費試看視訊交友網50024彩虹avdvdsex888免費看影片亞亞 dvd 光碟百事免費av視訊聊天網免費線上 aa 片試看85CCsex貼片網s383情色大網咖熟女自拍sex免費成人影片情境坊歡愉用品 視訊泳裝秀拓網交友免費成人影片,104免費成人情色文學小說視訊主播脫衣秀gogo2sexplus28論壇米克綜合論壇聊天室交友av成人網g8mm 視訊壞朋友論壇視訊美女msvt中部人聊天室視訊網愛聊天室網路援交168論壇辣妹貼圖新竹援交38ga片下載全國最大俱樂部ok視訊,視訊熱舞秀

DesiraeF_Creech0709 said...

色情視訊電話色情美眉寫真色情片免色情區色情片看小2館小小遊戲女性愛技巧女性做愛技巧女性高潮圖女同志天室女同志色圖片情網站女同志色網站女同志區女同志聊天?女同志影片線上看女同動畫女同聊天網女同聊天?女同圖片女身遊戲女性性愛技巧女性高潮用品小可愛圖片小老鼠咆嘯分享論壇小弟影片網小杜情網小肚小野貓貼圖小陰唇貼圖區gba真實賽車遊戲下載專區 vul3小遊戲聊天室ut色情影片

雲亨 said...

量力而為,別勉強了,Cut your coat according to your cloth. ....................................................

文君 said...

haha~ funny! thank you for your share~ ........................................

文迪 said...

I love readding, and thanks for your artical. ..............................

韋于倫成 said...

人有兩眼一舌,是為了觀察倍於說話的緣故。.........................

健豪 said...

All roads lead to Rome. 堅持自己所選! ....................................................

EdmundoK_黎 said...

Well done!............................................................

TerryM又來ontane said...

Make yourself necessary to someone.............................................................

adkinsra said...

任何事都是由一個決心,一顆種子開始。........................................

rosebarrett94 said...

看看blog放鬆一下,工作累死了................................................................

湘嬌湘嬌 said...

支持你!!!期待你的更新!!!相信一定會更好!!!!.................................................................

木堯木堯 said...

所有的資產,在不被諒解時,都成了負債.................................................................

江婷 said...

上班好累哦,看看部落格轉換心情~~~先謝謝啦!!.................................................................                           

吳婷婷 said...

It takes all kinds to make a world.............................................................

吳婷婷 said...

憤怒,是片刻的瘋狂。..................................................

云依恩HFH謝鄭JTR安 said...

安安唷~~幸運的日子送給妳(你)滿滿的幸福,也祝福你天天都開心唷..................................................................

玉婷良DGFHFJ瑋黃吳 said...

精彩的部落格 要繼續加油 ..................................................................

芸茂芸茂 said...

Subtlety is better than force. ............................................................

陳佑發 said...

想跟你說一聲加油,祝福大家每天開心..................................................................

林旻貞林旻貞 said...

Make hay while the sun shines...................................................

RicoLisi0802志竹 said...

一棵樹除非在春天開了花,否則難望在秋天結果。............................................................

ToryO_Vis建銘 said...

Learning makes life sweet.

馬志榮惠玲成 said...

Man is not made for defeat. A mean can be destroyed but not defeated...................................................................

亦奈美妮 said...

鞋匠能作好鞋子,因為他只做鞋,不做別的。..................................................

沈貞李添睿儀 said...

No pains, no gains.......................................................................

江仁趙雲虹昆 said...

來替你打氣,加油A_A..................................................................

韋陳富 said...

看了你的日誌 覺得今天好充實 晚安瞜..................................................................

胡曹哲維佳玲 said...

今夜星光多美好~祝你快樂~~~~............................................................

恩宛玲如 said...

生活總是起起伏伏,心情要保持快樂才好哦!!............................................................

佳張張張張燕張張張張張 said...

真正仁慈的人,會忘記他們做過的善行,他們全心投入現在的工作,過去的事已被遺忘。.................................................

佳張張張張燕張張張張張 said...

很有趣~~感覺很好的blog,祝您人氣長虹..................................................................

幸平平平平杰 said...

thank for share, it is very important . ̄︿ ̄..................................................................

石JaquelynS_Whitesi白 said...

成功多屬於那些很快做出決定,卻又不輕易變更的人。而失敗也經常屬於那些很難做出決定,卻又經常變更的人.................................................... ............

Kristin said...

Hello! I know you don't know me, but we've got something in common. I got your blog address off the Stirrup Queen's blogroll and was wondering if you wouldn't mind helping me help a couple who is trying to add a little one to their family. We're holding a silent auction for them this weekend (Friday and Saturday) on goteamwitt.blogspot.com and need help getting the word out! We would love it if you would spread the word via social media or here on your blog. Additionally, we are always looking for more donations to auction off, so if you or someone you know might be interested in making a donation, all the information is under the donate tab. If you have any questions or would be willing to post a pre-written blog post about the auction and the sponsored couple, please contact Kristin at goteamwitt@gmail.com Thanks in advance for taking the time to consider this!

saeed ahmed thanvi said...

World's Most Popular Cars, Hot Speed Cars, Hot Cars with Hot Girls, Cars Latest Pictures with all info, Latest updates Cars Models and Company Cars, Strange Vehicles, Concept Cars, Top 10 Expensive Cars in the World.
Visit this Link for More Strange Vehicles and Cars with Latest info and Pictures
WorldLatestVehicles.com