Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Back Story

When I got married 8 years ago, I didn't really want children. I was of the opinion that I shouldn't subject another human being to living in this cruel world. I thought having a child was the most selfish thing a person can do (I still believe that!). The only reason anyone would have for having a child was to perpetuate their own genes and achieve immortality in some form or shape. How selfish I thought!
How naive was that point of view! I thought people decided to have children, like it was a conscious choice. How little did I know! As the years went by and my biological clock kicked in, I felt this overwhelming primal need to reproduce. It came from some place deep within me. It wasn't something I wanted to do. It was simply what I had to do. It was like the need for air and food and other necessities in life. So began my quest for a child. Intellectually, I still believe bringing a child into this world is selfish, but I am not strong enough to resist my genetic programming.

No comments: